Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: A 604E in 828 cabinet horn loading question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member wweigle's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2014
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    A 604E in 828 cabinet horn loading question.

    I think it?s time to try my 604Es as a duplex speaker in my 828 cabinets. Currently they are installed as I have been using the 604Es as a woofer only in the 828s. I have not tried them as duplex speakers in this cabinet. Will the 828 horn add additional loading to the duplex high frequency horn. Can I safely lower the crossover point below the 1200Hz that I believe was used for the 604Es to load the horn. I?m bi-amping using a Behringer DCX2496 so lots of options on slopes and cross points, and I thought it would be interesting to see how the crossover point effect the sound if it?s safe. I don?t play my music extremely loud. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: A 604E in 828 cabinet horn loading question.

    The 604E has a 1500 Hz XO, so no without significantly increasing the size of the HF waveguide [WG] and even then not a good plan going below ~900-1000 Hz where it would best blend to the woofer.

    The 825/828 only loads over a narrow BW centered at ~175 Hz: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FhqQirgvf-...7-response.png

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Junior Hostboard Member wweigle's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2014
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A 604E in 828 cabinet horn loading question.

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    The 604E has a 1500 Hz XO, so no without significantly increasing the size of the HF waveguide [WG] and even then not a good plan going below ~900-1000 Hz where it would best blend to the woofer.

    The 825/828 only loads over a narrow BW centered at ~175 Hz: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FhqQirgvf-...7-response.png

    GM
    Thanks GM. I figured if you chimed in I would get the strait scope. I kinda figured that the 828 horn would not offer additional loading just based on its physical size. Yep, My mistake the 604e does use the N-1500 crossover. Had to pull them out of a box to confirm that's what mine came with. Going to go ahead and play around with them being careful not to cross them over to low. Should be interesting even though I don't think I will use them this way long term. Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: A 604E in 828 cabinet horn loading question.

    Your 604's fit in 828 cabs? Mine bolt up just fine but the woofer sticks out too much to put the back on the cabinet.

    Running yours backless?

  5. #5
    Junior Hostboard Member wweigle's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2014
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A 604E in 828 cabinet horn loading question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    Your 604's fit in 828 cabs? Mine bolt up just fine but the woofer sticks out too much to put the back on the cabinet.

    Running yours backless?
    I thought maybe someone would ask this question. I took the attached picture before my original post and planned to include it as figured there was a good chance the question would come up, but figured why clutter things up. I basically cut a square hole in the back panel and added a box to provide room for the 604E.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: A 604E in 828 cabinet horn loading question.

    Thats a good idea

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.